Commercial Furniture Design Trends 2018
We spend more time in work than we do with our nearest and dearest so making our space not only a hub for creativity but also comfortable and adaptable is no mean feat. With so many incredible innovations and leaps forward in the way we view the traditional office environment, it’s an exciting time to be in the design industry! So what do 2018 trends have in store for office space? We spoke to the expert Ikon team to find out…
At One With Nature
Bringing the outdoors in has been a huge trend for the home which has now transferred to our office space. Research has shown productivity is improved when plants are present due to plants ability to reduce excess carbon dioxide in the air. They also add a splash of much needed colour to more minimalist spaces. Ideas that will be big for 2018 will be:
- Live walls – flowers or greenery embedded into the wall and used as dividers instead of traditional walls.
- Hanging baskets – a more budget friendly version of the live wall which can be created with hanging baskets, pots or planters hooked onto walls or grid walls around the office.
- Mini desk plants – ‘zen’ plants such as bonsai or lucky bamboo are a great welcome gift for new starters to begin cultivating their own little green space at their workstation.
Pantone released their 2018 palette and we’re loving the vibrant options. Ultra Violet is their colour of the year communicating ‘originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking’ so we expect to see this finding its way into our workspace either through furniture, fabric or accessories.
The traditional boxed off office with closed meeting rooms and blocked desks are old news. We’re into space saving in the right way.
- Movable office walls – Why stick to conventional set spaces, why not move your space as needed! Modular spaces allow for a more fluid approach to the workplace.
- Hot Desking – Being forced to declutter your workspace so you have enough to fit in a small locker can be so liberating. Keep what’s important to you and vary up your view depending on your mood or workload.
- Wall storage – Make the ‘necessary functional’ by adding storage walls to larger open plan office space.
I Want To Break Free
Creating a home away from home for employees isn’t new, but now it’s not just reserved for the likes of Google. Employers are figuring our new and interesting ways to keep their workforce in work longer for all of the right reasons. Some of the most popular ways of doing this are by having:
- On site gym
- On site spa
- Free food – from breakfast to fruit, snacks and treats (hence the rationale for an on-site gym we presume!)
- Games rooms – A daily dose of ping pong or air hockey will give a much needed break from screens as will more traditional board games, but for those not bothered about their screen time consoles are still incredibly popular in the workplace.
- Meditation and wellbeing classes
- Team drinks – a large breakout space that can be transformed from full business meeting areas to a place to relax and have a drink with colleagues is a must.
What do you think of our 2018 trends roundup? Here at Ikon we specialise in commercial office interior solutions from small bespoke items to managing projects from design to aftercare. If you want to find out more about the array of services we offer check out more of our projects.